Thursday, September 6, 2007

10 Clichés to live by

Here's quick link to some good material:
10 Clichés to live by :: Discursive Monologue :: Blog Archive

I don't think that I could describe my existence as eloquently.

#2 (Pick your battles) has been a long-term challenge for me, I'm still learning to pick my battles. Of course, being a perfectionist is the direct cause of the difficulty.

#4 (Don't be a hog) has also been a big issue on my list. Which is funny b/c I think that the whole "global warming" deal is just bad math and I firmly believe that most "environmentalists" are pretty clueless (the whole "save endangered species, but only if they're cute or useful" thing). I'm just a follower of the mentality b/c it's simpler and fairer :) This one paragraph starkly reminds me of Violent Acres and her Americans are Fat because they're broke concept. I live in Canada, but my region (Edmonton) is the land of the truck, with city-slickers driving F250s to and from work. We're one of the least dense major north american cities which means that we spend lots of resources just getting around town.

#8 (Never stop learning) is one of my personal rallying calls and one of the reasons I love to blog. You learn a lot of stuff reading blogs, writing blogs and jockeying back and forth in the comments.

#10 (Don’t do something that you will regret) is probably the strangest but most simply useful piece of advice. Consider the whole is the key component that's generally just missed. We makes lots of decisions without regarding as much relevant information as we can. So you see people who take up sub-prime mortgages and really don't know that won't be able to afford them when interest rates go up. You see people start up unhealthy diets or go to the gym to lift weights and then do it completely wrong (i.e.: dangerously). You see smart people putting their RRSP investments in all of the wrong things. You get people who walk into the Welfare office complaining that they can't buy milk for their kids while they hold an over-priced pop that they just bought in lobby vending maching (true story).

People make all of these bad decisions, sometimes by lack of planning and sometimes just by default (I have nothing better to do, guess I should...), and then they spend time lamenting all of their failed actions and "missed opportunities". Yeah, don't do shit that you know you'll regret; you'll probably end up regretting enough stuff already, why aggravate the situation?

No comments: